This is just a short post, but it’s something I still think about today. When I was growing up many years ago and my folks were still on earth, my mother would often ask me questions that would leave me entirely perplexed. So much so that even now I can’t help but scratch my head. There must be a name for these type of questions. I’ll give a few examples as we go along. For instance, dinner was a perfect time for this nonsense. “I know how much you hate sprouts, so I’ve only put you a few!” Do you see what I’m getting at? Another favourite was, “Do you want peas or beans with your dinner?”, “I’ll have beans please, mother” I would reply to which she would let me know that she had already put peas for me! Why oh why would anyone ask that question knowing full well there really wasn’t any choice? On it went, “What would you like for pudding? There’s Rice or Blancmange.” “I’ll have Rice please, mother.” “Oh, I’m sorry I’ve bought a Blancmange that has to be eaten today.
I’ve recently retired, not because I wanted to, but because I wasn’t
- Another Time Another BenchBenchman went to see Another Time which is one of the pieces by sculpture artist Anthony Gormley. There are a few of these statues situated at various locations across the U.K. This particular statue is on the beach at the seaside town of Margate in Kent. The complete set of works are titled ‘Another Place’ […]
- A Room Full Of BooksBeing in a room full of books is like being in a room with all of your friends. Each one is a conversation, full of memories or imaginations, telling stories to keep us enthralled. Other books are full of knowledge, how to bake a cake or make a cupboard. Some are colourful with pictures and […]
- Spending The Day With An Old FriendThere’s nothing wrong with spending the day at the graveside of an old friend or loved one. If we’re lucky they may even turn up in the flesh, so to speak. I chat with a lot of people who are no longer with us. Old friends, family and neighbours. You don’t have to visit their […]
- Desperate Measures March 21, 2020Desperate Measures It’s not the great beer that draws us all here, It’s not classy wine that tastes so damn... The post Desperate Measures first appeared on Gloria Smud.
- The Best Apple December 17, 2019The Best Apple An apple hung upon a tree, It stood out from the rest. Ruby red, sun ripened skin... The post The Best Apple first appeared on Gloria Smud.
- It’s Only A Song October 3, 2019It’s Only A Song “It’s only a song….” Only a song? Goodness me, no! You’ve got it all wrong! It’s... The post It’s Only A Song first appeared on Gloria Smud.
Please Subscribe to This Blog
- Banana CakeBanana Cake A delicious cake and a great way to use ...
- Vegetable Stew and SoupWhat could be better on a cold winters night than ...
- Apple & Blackberry PieApple & Blackberry Pie We are fortunate to have an abundance ...
- Banoffee PieBanoffee Pie Another naughty but nice desert. Home made Banoffee pie ...
- Chocolate and Beetroot CakeRecipes I hope you look out for my recipes and they ...
Follow Me on Twitter
When Magic Goes Wrong!
Subscribe To My Youtube Channel
My Facebook Page
Follow Me On Flickr
- Mutton Shunter What on earth is a Mutton Shunter? It was the name give... 1k views | 23 comments
- A Red Phone Box For The Garden The old red telephone box is an icon of Britain from da... 618 views | 49 comments
- The Repair Shop There's a gem of a TV program shown by the BBC here in... 558 views | 25 comments
- Ask A Silly Question I do enjoy a good quiz show on television, particularly... 496 views | 20 comments
- Monaughty Powys Wales Monaughty Powys Wales When I first started this blog... 491 views | 8 comments