Why Would You Be Unhappy At Winning The Lottery?
A lot of people dream of winning the lottery. It can be a life changing experience if you are lucky enough to hit the jackpot. Or so you would think. Not so a young 21 year old lady from the UK. After buying her first ticket at the age of 17, she hit the jackpot and won £1,000,000.
Four years later and she has even considered taking Camelot to court and suing them for spoiling her life! It’s not for me to judge her, especially like most adults, I’ve had moments where I prayed to win the lottery mostly during times of financial difficulty.
It seems alien to me that someone can feel so bitter over winning a huge amount of money. Perhaps we all need to know what it’s really like to struggle before we can appreciate winning a shed full of money?
There Are Happier Winners
A Croatian music teacher, Frano Selak was truly one of the world’s unluckiest men. He was born in 1929 and during his life became famous for his numerous escapes from near fatal accidents! Here is a list of his misfortune.
- January 1962, survived a crash when the train he was travelling on derailed and plunged into an icy river killing 17 passengers. He escaped with a broken arm and bruises.
- 1963 during a flight from Zagreb to Rijeka the door blew off the cockpit which forced him out of the plane. 19 people were killed while he survived after landing in a haystack.
- 1966 he was riding on a bus that plunged into a river. Four people killed, but he escaped uninjured.
- 1970 his car burst into flames caused by a faulty fuel pump. He escaped without injury.
- 1973 another car fire. Again he escaped injury except for the loss of most of his hair
- 1995 he was hit by a bus. Once again he only received minor injuries.
- 1996 swerving to avoid a truck he was thrown clear and landed in a tree while his car exploded 300 feet below him
- 2003 he won $1,000,000 in the Croation Lottery!!!
He said after his lottery win “I know God was watching over me all these years.” He was a guy who was glad to win. He is reported to have given the bulk of it away saying that at his age he didn’t really need the money.
More about Frano Selak